Book Club Meeting Schedule
Friday, February 7,2020 10:30 am - Noon in University Hall, Room 198.
Reading: Gordon Wood, Friends Divided: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson (Penguin Books).
About the UCBRC Book Club
The UCBRC book club meets on campus several times per year. To join the UCBRC book club, send an email to email@example.com and ask to be placed in the group. All book club members receive email announcements and reminders when book club meetings are scheduled.
Books are chosen by Professor Emeritus Robert Middlekauff, who also leads the book club discussion. Thank you, Bob, for your wonderful service to UC retirees!
Book club members Larry Waldron, Bob Middlekauff, Marian Gade, Joyce Burks and Mary MacCready at a LIR reception in May, 2015.
Books We've Read (an incomplete list)
- The Federalist Papers, Hamilton, Jay, Madison.
- Benjamin Franklin, Edmund S. Morgan
- Admiral of the Ocean Sea: A Life of Christopher Columbus, Samuel E. Morison
- Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II, John W. Dower
- Young Men and Fire and A River Runs Through It, Norman Maclean
- All the King's Men, Robert Penn Warrend
- The Death and Rebirth of Seneca, Anthony F. C. Wallace
- To Hell and Back: Europe 1914-1949, Ian Kershaw
- Women and Power: A Manifesto, Mary Beard
- Elizabeth I, by J. E. Neale
- James Madison: A Biography by Ralph Ketcham
- The Ordeal of Thomas Hutchinson by Bernard Bailyn
- Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass, An American Slave Written by Himself
- Gateway to Freedom: The Hidden History of the Underground Railroad by Eric Foner
- Berkeley and the New Deal by Harvey L. Smith
- The New Deal & Modern American Conservatism: A Defining Rivalry by Gordon Lloyd & David Davenport
- The Paranoid Style in American Politics and Other Essays by Richard Hofstadter
- Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans
- Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression by Studs Terkel
- Eleanore Roosevelt: The Defining Years 1933-1938, by Blanche Wiesen Cook
- A Mercy by Toni Morrison
- A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony by John Demos
- The Hedgehog and the Fox by Isaiah Berlin
- The Puritan Family by Edmund Morgan
- Peculiar Institution by Kenneth Stampp
- The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman
- Abraham Lincoln: A Biography by Benjamin Thomas
- Benjamin Franklin and His Enemies by Robert Middlekauff
- Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England by William Cronon
- Boston’s Immigrants, Oscar Handlin
- The Way of Duty: A Woman and Her Family in Revolutionary America, Joy and Richard Buel
- The Warden by Anthony Trollope
- The Minutemen and Their World by Robert Gross
- American Diplomacy, 1900-1950 by George Kennan
- The Armada by Garrett Mattingly
- Ferling, John, Adams vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800
- Professor Gene Brucker’s Giovanni and Lusanna: Love and Marriage in Renaissance Florence
- Marion L. Starkey, The Devil in Massachusetts: A Modern Inquiry into the Salem Witch Trials
- C. Vann Woodward's The Strange Career of Jim Crow
- John Kenneth Galbraith, The Great Crash
- American Slavery, American Freedom: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia by Edmund S. Morgan